"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Proverbs 25:11

Monday, May 21, 2012

PRAYING WITH THE GRAIN by Dr. Pablo Martinez





Why do so many struggle to pray? Dr. Pablo Martinez, a medical doctor and psychotherapist, suggests that our basic personality type strongly affects both how we pray and what we pray about. Extroverts may struggle to develop a regular prayer life; introverts will be more likely to set time apart. Thinking types find prayer more satisfactory if accompanied by pen and paper; feeling types may long for intimacy with God; intuitive types tend to be innovators and visionaries, and may have a more mystical bent; sensation types often have a particular capacity for spontaneous prayer; and so on. The purpose of this book is to help us understand, and work with, our own spiritual path.

Here's a little information about Dr. Pablo Martinez:

Dr. Pablo Martinez is a medical doctor and psychriatrist working currently at a private practice in Barcelona. He has also developed a wide ministry as a lecturer, counselor, and itinerant speaker. He has been a plenary Bible teacher in more than thirty countries in Europe and both North and South America. 

He developed his pastoral gifts serving as an elder in his local church for almost twenty-five years. He is currently chairman of the European Leadership Forum, where Dr. Martinez serves as a member of the steering committee.

Pablo is married to Marta, who is also a medical doctor. He enjoys bird-watching and reading.

My Review:

Let me begin by quoting one of my favorite people, Dr. John Stott, "Profound, practical and personal... I cannot imagine any reader failing to be helped by it, as I have been myself." (This was in his forward for Praying with the Grain.)

I found this book to be most helpful in my own struggles with prayer and knowing that it's not because I am a colossal failure, but rather due to my personality and temperament has helped me greatly.

He provides solid and factual information tempered with a strong desire to see God's children enjoy a personal relationship with their Lord through prayer.

Dr. Martinez reveals to us how our personalities, temperaments and even emotional problems can and do affect our relationship with others as well as our relationship with God. And that affects our prayer life. 

I found myself in Praying with the Grain and I found ways to help me obtain a more satisfying prayer life.   

Dr. Martinez writes in a manner that easy for anyone to understand and he writes from the heart, the heart of prayer.   

Praying with the Grain is a book that should be in every home of every Christian who struggles with prayer and an intimate relationship with God our Father.

I want to thank Kregel Publications for providing me with this free review copy and making it possible for me to review this book.  




 





He  

No comments: