"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Proverbs 25:11

Monday, November 1, 2010

OUT LIVE YOUR LIFE By Max Lucado

OUT LIVE YOUR LIFE: You were made to make a difference By Max Lucado....

In thinking about this book and review, I pondered on where to begin. Most people anywhere and everywhere know or have heard about Max Lucado. He is the New York Times Best-Selling Author. You can check out his website MaxLucado.com and follow him on Twitter at Twitter.com/MaxLucado; I do, he is one of my favorite authors.

One of the things I really enjoyed about Out Live Your Life is at the beginning of every chapter Mr. Lucado has a prayer that is pertinent to that chapter. I found praying each prayer prepared me for what was going to be read.

Another aspect about the book I enjoyed is at the back of the book is a Discussion and Action Guide prepared by David Drury. There are some real good plans of actions for groups and individuals to put to use. I like not only hearing or reading about something that gets me fired up but I appreciate practical application as well, and the Action Guide gives that.

There was something about the book that I had a difficult time with and it's something that I have noticed in Mr. Lucado's recent books; the usage of various Bible translations or paraphrases. I find, at least for me, if the author uses one or two different translations I can read the material and not stumble over the verses; especially if they are translations I am familiar with. But when an author uses many translations and paraphrases in one book, one chapter or even on a single page at a time, it can really throw off the momentum and ease of reading. If he would stick with one translation for his text and then just use another one to for comparison study, that might make the book better. I find it disconcerting to read a page and not realize I was reading Bible verses because the translation/paraphrase was so loose. 

Other than that though, the book on a whole is a real good book that encouraged me to reach out to others and step out of my comfort zone. Max Lucado has done it again in encouraging others to do more and be more than a mere Christian.

This book was provided to me by BookSneeze.com (Thomas Nelson Publishers) free of charge. I am under no obligation to provide a positive review for this book. Everything I have said is of my own opinion.

No comments: