"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Proverbs 25:11

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT WORRY by Dr. William Backus



The Good News About Worry by Dr. William Backus is just the book I needed to read.

I don't know about any of you, but I worry. Often about things I probably don't need to worry about. I worry about my job, my health, the health of my husband, my kids, my finances, you name it and I probably worry about it. I even worry about this computer and wonder if it will continue to work!

Dr. Backus wrote this book I think just for me. Well, maybe for you too, if you worry.

Inside you will find yourself. He takes the time to get to the heart of your worries and explains the why. He shows how avoiding something that may make you anxious is actually making you more anxious. He uses biblical principles and points us in the right thinking. Because let's face it, it's all in our head and how we think determines how we act.

There is a page that helps you to see your personal anxieties and then throughout the rest of the book he gives you exercises to help you to biblically overcome those anxieties.

This is a easy book to read and comprehend. Dr. Backus doesn't use a lot of psychological words that are difficult to understand. He writes just like he is talking to you and me.

The only part I had a difficult time with was with the relaxation/meditaion. It's very important that when we try these exercises that our mind doesn't "go blank" but rather we meditate on a particular bible verse or passage. Leaving the mind blank opens doors that are better left closed. It's a open invitation for the enemy of our soul to enter.  So my suggestion in this portion of the book and exercise is to meditate on the word of God.

Other than that, I think this book will be extremely helpful for all of us who deal with high anxiety, getting to the root of that anxiety, looking at practical biblical application and becoming the person God wants us to be and be able to use for His glory.

This book was provided to me by Baker Publishing Group with no expectations of a positive review. Everything expressed in this review is of my own opinion.

No comments: