"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Proverbs 25:11

Friday, August 27, 2010

WILLIAM F. BUCKLEY by Jeremy Lott




I don't know about most of you, however, I have heard the name of William F. Buckley before; therefore when I saw this biography of him I wanted to read it and learn more about this particular man.

William F. Buckley (1925-2008) was the host of a TV show "Firing Line." He would have many different people on there, including Timothy Leary, Muhammad Ali, and Ronald Reagen. (I vaguely remember watching it on my local PBS station.) Mr. Buckley was also the founder of the "National Review" magazine, a publication devoted to speaking out against collectivism, liberalism, and Communism, just to name a few of the isms.

Jeremy Lott's purpose for this book was to show how William Buckley's faith factored in all that he did in his public life, whether it was during his time at Yale, running for mayor of New York, to his final thoughts on the Cold War.

Though I found the book interesting, and I could see how perhaps his belief in God  may have had some influence, I don't think I would have considered this book a tribute to Buckley's stand with God. Perhaps if I had had a better understanding of whom I was reading about, it might have been different.

I would probably recommend that if someone is interested in the life of William F. Buckley, this book should be included in their reading. However, I wouldn't necessarily start with this one. As I said, it's well written, but I had a bit of a time trying to figure out just who William F. Buckley was. Lott does include in the back of the book some recommended reading to the reader, and I would recommend the same things, before reading this book. Just to help the reader get a better "feel" for the man.

This book was provided to my by Thomas Nelson, to be reviewed. Everything stated in this review is of my own opinion and not influenced in any way by the publisher.

 

No comments: